Re: Best practices for getting CFLAGS/LDFLAGS etc.

On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 03:10:26PM +0100, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> On Monday, January 2, 2017 10:56:10 AM CET Florian Weimer wrote:
> > The final values of CFLAGS/LDFLAGS/… are set (as shell variables) by the
> > %configure macro.  There is no other immediately obvious way to get
> > those definitions.  This means that if you can't use %configure for some
> > reason, you are out of luck.
> >
> > In this situation, this still works:
> >
> > %global %_configure :
> > %configure
> >
> > As a result, %configure tries to run “:” instead of “./configure”, which
> > is a NOP, and only the shell variable initialization remains.
> >
> > Is this the recommend way to initialize the compiler flags?
>
> Meh, it would be hard to believe this is prefered way... at least because there
> are default options like --prefix=/usr in %configure.
>
> > Should we introduce a %setup_cflags macro to make this more explicit?
>
> Maybe.
>
> Also I'd like to se the %configure macro more "modularized", because it does too
> much ATM and as you said, %configure is not for everybody.  So one could call
> something like:
>
>     %configure_libtool_hacks
>     %configure_fix_gnuconfig
>
> .. only when there are reasons to not call %configure directly.

It would also be nice if:

  PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3 %configure

didn't (silently) do the wrong thing by default.  For a long time we
shipped a nbdkit-python3 package which was using python2, and that was
found to be the cause.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v