Re: Quality control, does it exist? A recent update removed a keyboard layout from system.

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I don't recall the example Adam mentions, but I have no reason to doubt
> it.

I don't recall it either, so that's already 2 people. And I tend to remember
such things. So you should in fact doubt it.

Do not believe everything you read on the Internet!

> How about the dbus security update that went directly to stable and
> broke everyones dbus using services?
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/311146/
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2008-December/002572.html

This had a one-line command-line workaround (to get the fixed package over
the yum command line, working around breakage of the GUIs).

> The current policy came out of a bunch of breakage in 2010...

It actually came out of a single bad "bind" update, affecting the BIND
server only (not the client libraries), a package that the vast majority of
Fedora installations does not even have installed to begin with. That issue
was also perfectly fixable by just SSHing into the affected machine by IP
address (and you definitely SHOULD know the IP addresses of your servers! Or
at least you will be able to find them out) and running "yum update".

The really fatal update issue in 2010:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Lessons#2010-07-07_-_PackageKit_not_showing_updates_anymore
actually happened WITH the new policy, proving that it does not work, at
all. (And also that SELinux breaks things, but nobody other than me even
considered disabling SELinux in response.)

In addition, before the Bodhi policy changes, in such cases, it was possible
to push the fixed package directly to stable, minimizing the exposure time
and thus the number of affected users. This is also made impossible by the
new policy, so you end up with more users getting hit by the fatal
regression, and the fix is harder to get (one has to enable
updates-testing).

Not to mention other fatal side effects of the policy such as:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Lessons#2010-11-11_-_proftpd_remote_code_execution_security_update_delay
of which there were (and still are!) actually dozens of instances, but
nobody wrote them down after the first.

        Kevin Kofler