Re: Making use of the new Fedora Container capabilities

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 01:00:32PM +0000, James Hogarth wrote:
> I see that we just need a Dockerfile in dist-git and fedpkg
> container-build can work from the existing git repo but is this
> intended to be supported or do we need to provide a fresh review
> request and then only build from the dist-git docker namespace, rather
> than rpm?

Ooh. That's probably an oversight. The intention is for these to be in
the new namespace.

> Where there is no existing lower layer that would be useful (eg
> httpd+mod_php+mod_ssl) is it permitted to have a container that
> installs httpd, mod_php and mod_ssl for a PHP based application?

We're still working this out. For now, I think it's a judgement call,
and we can figure out how we want to standardize from there. If
something seems really basic and doesn't exist yet (like httpd +
mod_ssl), it's probably good to work on creating that as an underlying
layer, since it'll be so useful to so many other things.

> What is considered acceptable for volumes specified in the dockerfile?
>
> Anywhere data or config is expected?
>
> How should we provide instructions on how to run the container?
>
> Just a readme.md in dist-git? Actually include something in the container?

These are all great questions. :)

> Is an entrypoint of ["/sbin/init"] permitted to make use of systemd
> for handling zombies and service unit files?
>
> This of course would then limit the container to docker hosts that
> have oci-systemd-hook to work properly if so, but massively simplifies
> things for services.

I think it _should_ be permitted, but we need metadata and naming
standards to make it clear.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>