Re: crypto-policies not very useful, FUTURE too strict?

> Hi,
>
>   Since few release we have nifty, consolidated way to select system-wide crypto
> policy. It's great, but granularity of selection is little lacking. We have
> basically two sensible choices:
> - DEFAULT, which is, well, default
> - FUTURE, which is said to be more secure; if the admin wants to change the policy,
>   (s)he will have to switch to FUTURE
>
>  So let's imagine Joe Sysadmins who in the face of LogJam and other vulnerabilites,
> wants to tighten security a bit. He switches to FUTURE and now GitHub doesn't work:
>
> $ update-crypto-policies --set FUTURE
> Setting system policy to FUTURE
>
> $ wget https://github.com
> Resolving github.com (github.com)... 192.30.253.112, 192.30.253.113                                                                                                                Connecting to github.com (github.com)|192.30.253.112|:443... connected.
> ERROR: The certificate of 'github.com' is not trusted.
> ERROR: The certificate of 'github.com' was signed using an insecure algorithm.
>
>   Not only github:
>
> Connecting to getfedora.org (getfedora.org)|2001:4178:2:1269::fed2|:443... connected.
> ERROR: The certificate of 'getfedora.org' is not trusted.
> ERROR: The certificate of 'getfedora.org' was signed using an insecure algorithm.
>
>   Switching back to DEFAULT make those working again.  But it buys us nothing,
> we have one setting which is default and the other is unusable. Why have this
> setting at all, then?

Maybe we need to rename FUTURE by QUITE_SOON instead, because the
error you have pointed is about sha-1 been deprecated:

According to this blog, chrome will remove support for sha-1
certificates on 1 January 2017 (it's an old post, so I don't know if
it's still current).
https://security.googleblog.com/2015/12/an-update-on-sha-1-certificates-in.html

the getfedora certificates is signed with sha-256, but the root CA has
signed the intermediate certificate with sha-1. That the issue.

Thx for rising the point, I will check which certificates are still
sha-1 in my own cert usage.

--
-

Nicolas (kwizart)