Re: Packages up for grabs

On Tue, 2016-12-13 at 20:19 +0100, Martin Kolman wrote:

> > > I'll let the folks who worked on that chime in on their plans.
> > > I have no idea.
> >
> > AIUI the people who did that work are folks who build a few
> > different Fedora variants and don't like how livemedia-creator works.
>
> Is the way livemedia-creator that different from livecd-tools ?

Yes, substantially. livecd-creator basically sets up a chroot on the
system it's running on and interprets the live image kickstart itself
to install a bunch of packages and do a bunch of modifications to that
environment, then converts that environment into an image file.

livemedia-creator works by running an anaconda install into an
environment, feeding the kickstart to anaconda rather than interpreting
it itself, and then converting the resulting environment into an image
file. It was originally *intended* that the environment would be a
virtual machine, but that turned out to be fundamentally incompatible
with how Koji works, so lmc now has a '--no-virt' mode where it uses a
fairly new anaconda feature that lets you run an install into a
directory.

>  Or
> harder to use ?

In a way, it is. With livecd-creator, you can quite easily run an image
build from your regular Fedora system in a way which is virtually
identical to how Koji does/did livecd-creator builds, so what you get
is very similar to an 'official' live image.

It's rather harder to do this with lmc. The way Koji uses lmc is it
sets up a mock chroot, then uses lmc --no-virt within the mock chroot.
If you want to build a live image the same way 'official' Fedora live
images are built, you have to either set up your own Koji deployment
(which is its own whole nest of rats) or recreate this process manually
(or write a script to do it): you have to create a mock chroot, install
the necessary packages into it, copy a flattened kickstart file into
it, then run the compose inside the chroot and get the resulting image
file out of the chroot. It's all possible, and not that hard once
you've done it a couple of times, but it's substantially more of a faff
than just pulling a one-line 'livecd-creator' command out of your
command history.

Your *other* choice is to use lmc's virt mode, which you should be able
to use from your regular desktop without any special preparation.
However, that doesn't work the same way our official image builds work
so it's possible it might somehow behave differently and give you
images with some important difference from the official ones (or just
be broken entirely), and some people have had trouble getting it to
work properly. Including me - every time I've tried to use it, it's
gone wrong somehow (I haven't tried it lately since I figured out how
to use the --no-virt mode in mock, though).

One of the things on my List Of Side Projects To Work On If I Ever Get
Time is a sort of koji-lite wrapper script which would let you run a
single command to do the '--no-virt build in a mock chroot' thing on a
typical  Fedora system, but I've just never got around to it yet.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey