Re: Are MP3 files now permitted in Fedora packages?

On 12/11/2016 07:33 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
> I would expect if they are provided by upstream, they should be fine.
> However, if they are generated during build from some other source, that
> won't be acceptable, as MP3 encoding is still not allowed in Fedora.

Note also that if you are generating the MP3 files, you should really be
generating Ogg Opus or Vorbis files instead, to save install space (plus
they have decoders already shipped with gstreamer-plugins-base). Unless
your package totally lacks playback for anything besides MP3, of course,
but the only current providers of MP3 decode in Fedora are gstreamer and
libmpg123, and it's unlikely software uses the latter directly.