Re: F26 System Wide Change: Enable coredumpctl by default

On 2016-12-05 18:54, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = System Wide Change: Enable coredumpctl by default =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/coredumpctl
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro AT gnome DOT org>
>
> Enable coredumpctl by default. Core dumps will be stored in the system
> journal rather than created in the crashing process's current working
> directory by ABRT.

The description here is a bit confusing, and scary: what if I run out of space and I need to rm the coredumps to make room?
If the coredumps are stored in the same file as the systemd journal I'd loose my system logs too, so it makes no sense to have them in the same file.

Even though [1] says "By default, systemd-coredump will log the core dump including a backtrace if possible to the journal and store the core dump itself in an external file in /var/lib/systemd/coredump."
This sounds good, I can rm the coredump and not loose the system log (or the fact that a coredump occured).

But [1] also says "Core dumps can be written to the journal or saved as a file".
This is confusing, because you say the only change is to disable an ABRT service:

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> We will disable abrt-ccpp.service in our systemd presets. That's it.

But by default systemd would store core dumps in a file, and not in the system journal, so am I correct that this change entry's description should be changed to:

"Enable coredumpctl by default. Core dumps will be logged in the system
journal and stored in /var/lib/systemd/coredump rather than created in the crashing process's current working
directory by ABRT."

[1] https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-coredump.html

> == Detailed Description ==
> coredumpctl will be enabled by default. Core dumps will now be stored
> in the systemd journal,

same change here "logged in the system journal and stored in /var/lib/systemd/coredump"

> rather than created in the crashing process's
> current working directory by ABRT. Currently abrt-ccpp.service
> installs its own core pattern to /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern that
> overrides the core pattern set by systemd. We will simply disable
> abrt-ccpp.service in the Fedora systemd presets to avoid this. This is
> of course only a change in default behavior. It will still be possible
> and easy to revert to the previous Fedora behavior by enabling and
> starting abrt-ccpp.service, or to traditional Linux behavior by
> overriding the sysctl variable kernel.core_pattern.
>
> Note that coredumpctl is intended as a developer tool, not as an
> automatic bug reporting tool nor as a replacement for ABRT. ABRT will
> continue to automatically report C and C++ crashes to the Fedora
> Analysis Framework (FAF), and users will still be able to manually
> report crashes to Red Hat Bugzilla using ABRT's Problem Reporting
> application. Nor does coredumpctl replace ABRT's ability to catch
> non-C/C++ issues like Java exceptions, Python exceptions, or machine
> check events. ABRT remains an important component of Fedora, and will
> continue to function largely as before as it has support for
> retrieving core files from the system journal using
> abrt-vmcore.service.

same change: retrieved from /var/lib/systemd/coredump, not the systemd journal
(maybe the filename of the coredump is retrieved from the journal?)

> However, it must be admitted that ABRT's feature
> set will be slightly smaller with abrt-ccpp.service disabled. Notably,
> crash-time stacktraces will no longer be available as all stacktraces
> will be generated from core files extracted from the system journal.

same change: retrieved from /var/lib/systemd/coredump

Best regards,
--Edwin