Re: yubico-piv-tool & p11-kit

On Mon, 2016-12-05 at 08:41 +0100, Jakub Jelen wrote:
> On 12/03/2016 01:50 PM, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> > So apparently yubico-piv-tool ships $libdir/libykpkcs11.so*, but
> > this
> > doesn't get picked up by p11-kit by default. I suspect it has gone
> > unnoticed largely because for most crucial operations the opensc
> > module also works with Yubikeys. However, this is not true for all
> > operations (in particular, in my case, key creation).
> >
> > How can we make this happen? Is there some intentional reason
> > Yubico's
> > PKCS#11 module has been excluded?
> Hello,
> In case of the modules accessing the same hardware tokens, there is
> a problem that they shows up more times while listed by p11-kit. We
> had similar problem with opensc && coolkey once both of them worked
> with PIV cards.

Indeed, in the case where one has both ykcs11 and opensc, he would have
to supply --detailed-urls to p11tool to be able to distinguish between
objects. That is, because they will have identical URLs except for the
library-description and library-manufacturer fields, which are not
normally printed.

That would be a bit more than just inconvenience because of the
duplicate listings, it would be that if you don't specify the library
fields on the URL, you wouldn't know which module was used for the
operation.

On the other hand, if we have another pkcs11 module for yubikeys
shipped on a package, it seems natural to be included in the p11-kit
listings, and maybe it makes sense to make p11tool print the long URL
versions by default.

> Ideal solution would be to implement the PIV key creation in OpenSC
> (what exactly does not work with which yubikey?). We can't use only
> yubico module, since PIV is not only the yubico one.

We should ping yubico on that. Is there some reason they didn't
implement the key generation on opensc? Ideally we won't ship that
additional module.

regards,
Nikos