Re: Nautilus usability

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 08:46:11 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
>> > There is no reason to believe that the Nautilus devs aren't happy
>> > with
>> > the feature set, or else I cannot explain why this progress window
>> > feature has been created exactly like this.
>>
>> You are just making assumptions about the nautilus developers here.
>
> Does it make you happy? A scrollbar that cannot be used, because it jumps
> to the top automatically, can't make you happy.

Nautilus suffers from problems common to many open source GUI's. It's
focused on shiny, shiny features rather than doing simple tasks in
clear, robust, intuitive fashion. Since feature sprawl seems to be the
whole purpose of Gnome, I don't think you're going to get much
traction on making the interface more responsive or intuitive at the
expense of shiny, shiny features. There was an excellent essay by Eric
Raymond roughly 16 years ago, titled "The Luxury of Ignorance". at
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html, that explored some
of the common problems with open source interfaces. I highly recommend
the essay. And in case the guidelines he put at the bottom seem
familiar, he added guidelines from me as a postscript to the essay.

Nautilus violates guidelines 1, 2, 4, 6, and every one of my
unnumbered added guidelines listed in that essay.

> About gnome bugzilla:
> Once I had reported a bug in gnome-software, and it took almost a year for
> someone to respond at all. Hence the prior discussion in this topic. And
> then I can draw my own conclusions about whether to open a ticket. Or even
> how to describe the problem, so that a dev, who is too focused on very
> basic usage scenarios, doesn't misunderstand it.

I urge you to file the bug report or RFE, and stay polite. It helps
developers justify spending the time to do things well.