Re: upstream dev. asks suggestions about howto make packagers work easier (bundled libraries, etc.)

On 21 November 2016 at 21:49, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:42 AM, Piotr Ozarowski <piotr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In Debian we have https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide
>> I guess more official, cross-distro document that we all point upstream
>> authors to would be a nice idea as well.
>
> It would be a great idea if there were principles that all
> distributions could agree on and have a document codify that so that
> all distributions can reference it to upstream.

Donald Stufft laid out the Python upstream position in
https://caremad.io/posts/2013/07/setup-vs-requirement/

The gist is that for abstract dependencies (e.g. setup.py), we want
people to specify the cases that they know *don't* work:

- minimum versions
- maximum versions if there's a particular known breaking change, or
if a particular dependency is well-known for API breaks
- exclusions for known incompatibilities with particular versions

This is useful information for both end users and redistributors, as
it indicates the versions of dependencies that upstream will flat out
refuse to support.

By contrast, concrete dependencies (e.g. requirements.txt) are
intended for deployment rather than redistribution, and hence can (and
usually should) pin the exact combination of dependencies that was
tested.

Cheers,
Nick.

--