Re: F24 GStreamer zero day

On Thu, 2016-11-24 at 10:02 +0000, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Tracker-extract is not as exposed as Firefox, because the file needs
> being in the local filesystem for starters. The web world is well
> known for figuratively throwing 3rd party media content to your face,
> even in otherwise trusted websites.

I think the concern here is that browsers allow websites to download
files to your computer without any user interaction. Epiphany goes as
far as to open them automatically. I've never previously considered
that it's a security risk, simply because attacking an unsandboxed web
engine seems like a much easier attack vector, but maybe we should
think about changing this behavior.

That said, we cannot stop running tracker on ~/Downloads because we
want to show downloaded files in our core apps. Similarly, we're going
to be processing the files with thumbnailers like the totem thumbnailer
as well. Even if we sandbox tracker-extract, that does nothing to avoid
bugs that exploit the thumbnailer, so we should really be looking at
GStreamer-level mitigation anyway.

Michael