Re: installing RPMs on NFS filesystems

On 23 November 2016 at 19:36, Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/23/2016 07:39 AM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>>
>> Is it supposed to be supported to install RPMs onto NFS filesystems?
>> Apparently NFSv3 doesn't support capabilities, so I'm not sure what to
>> do with this bug which happens because cap_net_raw is used for the
>> fping binaries:
>>
> I would expect that isn't supported, although I'm somewhat surprised that it
> fails instead of just warning.  That's a very unusual setup, having the root
> filesystem on NFS.

I doubt that installing on NFS was supported after we began using
capabilities on files for security. While installing on NFS was in
vogue in the 80's and 90's for thin clients and similar environments,
I think it has fallen to the wayside for current development. [In the
EPEL environment space I do expect it is still in use for root but
probably only in EL6 land versus EL7]

Stephen J Smoogen.