Re: F26 Self Contained Change: Module Build Service

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 05:55:21PM -0500, Ben Rosser wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 4:13 AM, Jan Kurik <jkurik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For the Fedora 26 timeframe, we will lock down the users who can
> > submit to the MBS to a small number of Modularity WG members. This is
> > not ideal, but the thought is that we want to limit the amount of spam
> > that the MBS will impose on the production koji instance - we don't
> > want to interfere with the general release of Fedora 26.
> >

> Is the intention then that users will be able to install modules on their
> system and have things work within the Fedora 26 timeframe, or would that
> not be possible until Fedora 27, assuming nothing slips? It seems like that
> would require at least one other change proposal (probably a system-wide
> one).

I think you've got it.  The intention in *this* Change proposal is not
about providing modules that you can install at runtime.  It's about
producing an installable image and one basic yum repo from a set of
base modules in the buildsystem.

It may be that one of the other teams around will submit proposals for
some PoC "user space" modules to be built and distributed for F26, but
that's beyond what I'm aiming for here.

> I ask as someone who's aware that Modularity is being worked on but not too
> clear on what it's actually going to wind up looking like and how my system
> / our package collection is going to change as a result. By which I mean, I
> understand the goal and basic concept (split packages into higher level
> units), but I'm iffy on the implementation details, and if we're at the
> point where things are going to start getting deployed in upcoming releases
> I'd like to read more about them.
>
> A lot of the wiki pages on modularity [1] seem to be focused on "why is
> modularity a good idea" or "how do I contribute to modularity projects",
> but neither of these is quite what I'm looking for. Is there a "Fedora
> Modularity for current developers" writeup somewhere? (by which I mean
> "Fedora developers" in general).

Yeah, this is right in line with some of what Josh was pointing out
elsewhere in the thread.  We're going to have to get some serious
"module guidelines" along with some (hopefully limited) changes to the
existing packaging guidelines for F27.

The stuff here, again, is about focusing on the base modules, making
sure we can build them, combine them, produce an image from them, and
seeing if it boots.  If we can do that, it's good enough (in my
opinion) to move to the next step of thinking how we can usefully
modularize the rest of the distro.

That said, here are some writeups that help lay the basis for that work:

- This is kind of a "glossary":
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Modularity/Getting_Started/Building_modular_things
- This is a kind of theoretical overview of what I'm trying to do in
  practice with this Change:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Modularity/Getting_Started/Constructing_a_modular_distribution
- This doesn't have many solutions, but it does raise a lot of the
  problems we'll have to solve in the F27 timeframe:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Modularity/Architecture/Module_versioning_and_branching

*NOTE - these pages look really short, but there are sub-pages if you
look at the ToC.