Re: F26 System Wide Change: Fedora 26 C/C++ Compilation Flags Updates

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:30:47 +0100
Jan Kurik <jkurik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> = Proposed System Wide Change: Fedora 26 C/C++ Compilation Flags
> Updates = https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Fedora26CFlags
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Florian Weimer <fweimer AT redhat DOT com>
>
> This change updates the default C/C++ compilation flags, as determined
> by the redhat-rpm-config package.
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> This change covers the following modifications to the default C and
> C++ compiler flags in the redhat-rpm-config package.
>
> * Drop -mtune=atom on i686: This flag was added to improve performance
> on the Intel Bonnell microarchitecture. Such CPUs are rare these days.
> In addition, many users of the i686 packages download them for use
> within a 64-bit x86_64 installation, and only a small part of these
> Fedora installations use Atom CPUs. Current microarchitectures for
> Atom CPUs are different from the original Bonnell microarchtecture and
> would need different GCC flags for tuning, but many current Atom-based
> devices cannot run Fedora because Fedora does not support their 32-bit
> UEFI boot environment.

We are going to change the default -mcpu for s390(x) from the current
-mcpu=z9-109 to -mcpu=z10. z10 is the minimum level various projects
require - llvm/clang, OCaml, pypy3, ... Unfortunately we can't go
higher because our community guest VM is still running on a z10 machine.

		Dan