Re: RFC: Change the default hostname for Fedora 26+

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:18:21AM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> Here are the items I would like to point out:
>
> 1. The TLD name should be something that DNS considers a known unknown
> name. With the fact that IANA is allowing top level domains of all
> sorts we do not want to end up having .fedora  or .foobaz end up
> causing thousands of computers saying they are in someones domain. So
> .invalid .localhost .example .local or .test . I expect that
> .localdomain might not ever be registered but who knows.

Or better, don't provide any TLD. Plain local hostname is enough for
all the purposes mentioned.

> 2. The XXXXXX is rather important because of two conflicting items.
> One we don't want it to be too short that collisions might occur a
> lot, but we don't want it to be too long for readability but also the
> less collisions the more likely it can be used to track people. If we
> don't care about making breadcrumbs which could be used to 'track'
> people we need to be clear about it so that people who are not wanting
> that can steer clear. [My 'I am an idiot about randomness' solution
> would be uuidgen | sum and that number is used for this. There is a
> good chance of uniqueness per small site and non-uniqueness overall. ]

I don't think you can have both. If the randomized part is long enough
to have rare collisions, it'll certainly be good enough for tracking.
If you consider that tracking can combine any external information
(like the MAC address or anything else that it learns about the machine),
tracking will "win" with many less bits of information.

Instead, we should concentrate on not leaking the hostname in places
where it shouldn't be leaked, for example on untrusted networks.

> 3. case-sensitivity argument about Fedora or fedora looks to be a
> bikeshed. There are probably local business reasons where having
> caps/lowercase in names is important but in those cases they should
> put in tools to conform to their local business reason.
Ack.

Zbyszek