Re: rpm vs --compress-debug-sections=zlib

On 10/11/16 15:25, Vít Ondruch wrote:

This was apparently introduced by upstream commit [2], which adds
"--compress-debug-sections=zlib" as one of linker options. What I
actually don't understand what are the implications of this.

* It seems that RPM cannot handle the compressed debug info properly,
does it also mean that the debuginfo is not stripped?

* Should I ask RPM guys to add support for this?

* Should I remove this flag? Should I ask upstream to make the
compression optional?

I'd say remove it - compressing the debug sections is horrible because it forces anything that wants to access the debug data to load it all in and decompress it rather than just reading what it needs.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/