Re: RFC: Change the default hostname for Fedora 26+

On 8.11.2016 22:49, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
For as long as I can recall, Fedora has shipped with a default hostname of
"localhost.localdomain"[1]. This default was "safe" for a very long time because
we also shipped an /etc/hosts entry that routed this hostname to the loopback
device for the benefit of some older system services (like sendmail).

One aspect worth considering is that localhost.localdomain as installer default means that if hostname is not set by user (in UI or kickstart), transient hostname of installed system would be automatically set during network configuration (by NM) from dhcp or DNS lookup if available (Formerly anaconda used to set the installed sytem static hostname to hostname obtained from dhcp or DNS in installation environment but based on a bug report we stopped doing it).

Radek.