Re: RFC: Change the default hostname for Fedora 26+

On Tue, 2016-11-08 at 16:49 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> My proposal is that we should consider changing the default hostname
> for Fedora 26 to be either FED-XXXXXXXXXXX or FEDORA-XXXXXXXX. The
> former allows for a longer random string and therefore lower risk of
> collision in large environments, while the latter would also provide
> improved branding for Fedora[2]. Our default BASH shell prompt
> includes the current machine's hostname.

Using the command line for branding should be considered mostly
separately from the question of the hostname. There are really two
separate cases for the prompt string:

 1) ssh'ed into a remote system, or a VM
 2) Running a local terminal on the desktop

2) accounts for a large fraction of the interactions Fedora users's
have with our prompt string. In this case, there's *no* reason we
should currently be showing:

 [otaylor@localhost ~]$

In the prompt (and in the window title) title - this is constantly
making the visual environment more busy, and the space available on the
line shorter. Both problems are excacerbated if that becomes:

 [otaylor@fedora-7741f32a ~]$

While fedora-7741f32a provides *marginally* more information than
"localhost", it still doesn't have anything to do with what the user is
trying to do. If we want to brand the prompt, for the local terminal on
the desktop case, we're better off with, say:

 [fedora ~]$

normally, and:

 [root@fedora /etc]$

when youve switched to a different user.

- Owen