Re: Private Bugzilla bugs

Christian Stadelmann wrote:
> Answers from my (user and frequent bug reporter) view:
> 1. abrt/libreport reports way too much data. There is no need to report my
> hostname to Fedora/RedHat infrastructure. Same for UID, PID, username,
> time, environ, …

The UID can actually matter. We have a frequently reported non-bug that
graphical KDE applications will not work (and abort with a qFatal, which
fires the SIGABRT signal) if you run them under tools like su or sudo
because they won't find some resources (usually the D-Bus session service,
sometimes the DISPLAY environment variable for the X display is also lost).
Even the upstream crash handler DrKonqi will then crash, because it is also
a graphical KDE application and runs in the same context, so even if KCrash
is enabled and starts DrKonqi, we still end up with an ABRT report. UID=0 is
a telltale sign that it is likely this issue again, at least it raises a red
flag. (The proper way to run KDE applications as root is to run them under
kdesu.)

        Kevin Kofler