Re: DNF and PackageKit background data usage

Hello,

I'm not sure I have all my facts straight -and by all means, please
help straighten them out-, but I would like to address Adam's original
proposals.

This is more of an issue for Workstation and the spins destined for
desktop use, so any possible solution needs to rely on
Anaconda/Initial Setup and each DE. In essence, we need a script that
runs with elevated privileges and disables/enables the makecache timer
and Packagit. This could then be wrapped in zenity or whatever similar
works in every DE. I think this would work regardless of
NetworkManager's presence, metered connection detection etc..

Would it be unfeasible to craft an Initial Setup add-on that runs
after the EULA screen, displays a notification explaining background
data usage and allows the user to turn it off (temporarily)? Since
having updates turned off indefinitely is a Bad Thing™, this add-on
could spawn a systemd service that checks if the makecache timer and
PackageKit have been disabled and if so, throw a nag screen (which
could be disabled, but not too easily ;) ) every n minutes/hours/days.
After the first run, every DE could have each own (control) panel
item/button/widget to enable toggling automatic updates on and off.

All of the above would require a) the Initial Setup add-on, b) a
systemd service and/or timer and c) a DE-specific package to alter the
state of things, which would have to be among the default packages in
each DE group. Having looked at the code of yumex, it doesn't look
that difficult to adapt the toggle to work with any underlying package
management system, at least the mainstream ones. Perhaps each DE could
enhance it even further, e.g. GNOME could integrate
gnome-online-accounts, so users could selectively disable specific
sync activities or any background data-consuming jobs altogether.

And now that I re-read what I have written, is this work that can be
done in Fedora or would we have to work with upstream from the get-go?