Re: Pondering security update time frames

On 10/26/2016 02:31 PM, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:03:20 PM CEST Florian Weimer wrote:
However, extending Koji to support "hidden builds" is certainly a good
idea.

Trust me, it's not.  Embargoes are against the spirit of Fedora, and a
general hassle for everyone involved.

Vague argument, sorry.  Please elaborate what's against Fedora.

Looks like I was wrong. I couldn't find an explicit commitment towards transparency and openness. Debian has one when it comes to bugs, but Fedora does not.

The "status quo" is bad, our _users_ are the ones who suffer from delays
in CVE fixes.  We should care take about users, in the first place.

The question is where these delays come from.

If a (allegedly non-critical) Firefox update is delayed by weeks, this is certainly not caused by not being able to build embargoed package updates for Fedora.

In fact, I strongly suggest that any delay by more than one day is *not* caused by lack of embargo support in the Fedora infrastructure because the delay added by fedpkg push && fedpkg build rarely amounts to that.

There are certainly security updates which require more time to prepare, but those typically require coordination over several packages and involve potentially backwards-incompatible changes. This is hardly something which is feasible to do under embargo.

Deploying a lot of infrastructure for the one or two cases per year
where it comes in handy does not make sense.

That's more than _two cases_ a year

Could you name a few cases where this would make a difference? If there are so many, surely it's easy to come up with a couple of examples.

Than we could look at Fedora update delays for those and see to what extent building fixed packages in secret, during the embargo period, would reduce those delays.

Upstream maintainers are *asking us* in advance to report them back
whether the release tarball works for us!  And they would willingly fix
the release tarballs or help us with issues, but we are unable to respond
(that's shame).   Yeah, I'm able to do my local build on x86_64 machine
(and build in i686 mock), but that's everything I can do;  if the aarch64
fails for me, then we'll have nontrivial delay..

Again, concrete examples here (and not for rebases targeting rawhide), would be more convincing.

I'm OK to accept the fact "hidden builds" are not perfect approach, that's
right, but that could be relatively easy for implementation.

I haven't tried to implement anything in Koji, so I'm not sure how easy it is to get there. There seem to be a lot of corner cases to consider: Should fedpkg new-sources uploads default to private? Are all packages allowed to see all embargoed builds? Do we need one temporary build root per embargoed fix to deal with dependency chains?

These look like difficult decisions, and that's not even about implementation at all.

Thanks,
Florian