Re: DNF and PackageKit background data usage

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I kinda hate kicking off discussions like this without having a solid
> solution to propose or being able to promise to work on one, but this
> really seems important. Unfortunately I can't claim I'm gonna have time
> to do any concrete work on it, though I'd really *like* to. But I
> thought it would be worthwhile to kick around still; perhaps someone
> else will be inspired.
>
> I just read Hedayat's review of Fedora 25 Beta:
> https://hedayatvk.wordpress.com/2016/10/30/fedora-25-beta
> and this really jumped out at me:
>
> "And, if you care about your internet usage, make sure that you disable
> both dnf makecache timer, and stop PackageKit from downloading updates
> automatically. I don’t allow a new Fedora installation to access
> internet before doing these, as it might just eat a considerable amount
> of data."
>
> There's two things I think are somewhat unfortunate here:

I'll add:

3) dnf and PackageKit still seem to *separately* download metadata.
Could they be made to share their metadata cache and download only one
copy?  Bonus points if they could share their cache of downloaded rpm
files, too.

4) Why is the metadata so big in the first place?  As far as I can
tell, it's a small number (3?) of xml files that don't change all that
fast.

As a simple but rather silly solution, imagine if the repodata XML
files were actually in a git repository and the local machine
maintained a clone of the git repo.  Then it would download deltas and
would probably update very quickly indeed.

--Andy