Re: Pondering security update time frames

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 17:59:24 -0700
Andrew Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems to me that Fedora has three severe distribution wide issues
> relating to security updates:
>
> 1. Updates, even critical security updates, are very slow.  Getting an
> update out involves creating a build and an update (which is
> reasonably fast for most packages), pushing the update to
> updates-testing, getting karma, and pushing to updates.  The latter
> three can happen in parallel in the best case.  The big problem as I
> see it is that pushing updates is painfully slow.  For reasons that
> I'm sure make a lot of internal sense, updates seem to get stuck
> behind broken composes and such all the time.  Can this be made
> better?

It has been. In the last month or so, a bunch of bodhi masher bugs have
been tracked down and we have autosigning in place.
I think people don't realize all the stuff we have to do to push
updates.

> IMO it should be possible for a security update to be checked,
> incrementally, for sanity with respect to the rest of the package
> repository, and then pushed out, without needing to do whatever
> expensive work a compose does.  If some other update breaks the
> compose, I don't think this should cause security updates to get
> stuck.

Nope. We have talked about having some kind of fast track, but IMHO, we
should just get the normal process faster.

> 2. There doesn't appear to be a working process to get updates out
> quickly.  As a current and pressing example, there is no build for
> Firefox 49.0.2.

Ask the maintainer(s)? there could be any number of reasons for this...

> 3. AFAIK Fedora has no means by which it can participate in embargoed
> updates.  For this to work, I think there ought to be private git
> branches, a way to get Koji to make a private build from a private git
> branch, and a way to get private karma on a private update.  Then,
> when an embargo is lifted, the packager could merge the private branch
> in, the various infrastructure bits could notice that the very same
> git commit is now public and permit all of the private builds,
> updates, and karma to become public and allow an immediate push to
> updates.

Yep. Thats a gigantic pile of work there for sure.

kevin