Re: Private Bugzilla bugs

Florian Weimer wrote:
> Why does Bugzilla allow filing private Fedora bugs?

I am fairly sure that there used to be (in the distant past) a policy
written down somewhere that "All Fedora bugs are public". The problem is
that, after ABRT started filing those private bugs, I searched for it in all
ways possible and could not find it, nor could anybody else remember the
sentence, let alone where it was written. I suspect it must have been in
some Bugzilla help text that went away with one of Red Hat's Bugzilla
rebases.

Even without this written down anywhere, it used to be common understanding
that Fedora bugs are public by design. But then came the ABRT team. Now we
get tons of "private" bug reports. Mostly because ABRT lets users attach
tons of crazy things including core dumps (!), which of course contain
sensitive information. Many users check everything and are then surprised
that ABRT makes the stuff private by default. ABRT should really only attach
the files that actually make sense to attach. Core dumps should NEVER be
attached to a bug tracker. (It also shouldn't ask the user what to attach,
but just always attach the same sane set of files. Right now, we get some
bugs with only a backtrace, and some bugs with everything but the kitchen
sink, depending on the mood of the reporter.) Then the option to make the
report private can and should go away too.

        Kevin Kofler