Re: F26 Self Contained Change: Blivet-GUI in Anaconda

On 10/19/2016 08:39 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Jan Kurik <jkurik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
= Proposed Self Contained Change:Blivet-GUI in Anaconda =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AnacondaBlivetGUI

Change owner(s):
* Martin Kolman <mkolman@xxxxxxxxxx>
* Vojtěch Trefný <vtrefny@xxxxxxxxxx>

Add blivet-gui as an alternative option for storage configuration in
Anaconda Installer.

== Detailed Description ==
Add blivet-gui as an alternative option for storage configuration in
Anaconda Installer.

I think making Anaconda more complicated is the wrong direction to go
in. Examples of stable installers that have exactly zero bugs at
release time are stupid point and shoot installers that reliably meet
the needs of 80% of the user base. A stand alone partitioning tool
meets the needs of the remaining 19%.

I continue to suggest pulling the existing custom storage UI out of
anaconda. Make it the Easy UI option for blivet-gui, with the existing
blivet-gui the Advanced UI. And then have blivet-gui write out some
metadata that anaconda can use to override whatever its
autopartitioning configuration is, leaving the user to only deal with
the other spokes.

The proposal as it is strikes me as creating even more traps for
unsuspecting users. Already a good portion of Anaconda's custom UI
isn't tested by QA, and yet there's a release criterion that says if
the installer offers a way to do something, then it needs to work,
otherwise it's a release blocking bug. This proposal increases the
footprint for blocking bugs, in a tool that currently has 5 of 13
release blocking bugs.

The contingency plan for adding blivet-gui to Anaconda is simple -- if it is not stable enough we just won't include it. This will be quite small change in Anaconda code base and removing it will take just few seconds.

Unlike the current custom partitioning screen in Anaconda, which works
in a top-down way (user specifies mountpoints and their properties),
blivet-gui works with the bottom-up principle (user has full control
to assemble the storage configuration from individual members). By
integrating blivet-gui into anaconda we will make the bottom-up
partitioning available to users during the installation. Blivet-gui is
built on top of the blivet library, which is used by Anaconda for
storage configuration, this makes the change very easy to implement
and doesn't bring new code and dependecies into the installer other
than a relatively small GUI package.

Integration is not the only way to make it available to users. I'm
fairly perturbed that Windows and macOS have rock solid OS installers,
and Fedora continues to have the most indefensible asinine bugs in its
installer - even including data loss bugs in autopartitioning - and
the idea is to make it even more complicated?

I just see this as a proposal for more bugs, and not fixing the warts
the installer already has.