Re: RFC: Storing Automated Tasks/Tests In Dist-Git

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 11:56:35 -0400
Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 09:42:51AM -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> > One of the differences in Fedora is that I expect most check/test
> > contributions will come from package maintainers instead of
> > dedicated QA folks. At this time, there just aren't enough
> > available person hours among the Fedora QA folks to match the
> > number of packages and components which are in Fedora.
>
> I *would* love to build up a community of people interested in
> creating these tests. It seems like a relatively easy way to get
> involved. This, to me, argues for the separate repo with distinct
> (more relaxed) permissions. We don't have that "army" (as you say)
> now, but maybe if we had an easy way to funnel new contributors to
> it, we could.

If we do keep going toward the goal of having more automation support
for testing and gating builds from koji based on results from that
automation, I don't understand how it makes sense to let more people
have write access to the checks/tests used to determine whether a build
is acceptable or not.

I agree with Zbyszek that PRs which can contain packaging fixes with
tests is the best way to handle new contributions. Keeping the ACLs and
PRs separate for the two things seems like a lot of unnecessary
extra work to me.

Tim