Re: libbson soname alias removal

On 2016-10-13, Tom Hughes <tom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 13/10/16 14:05, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> On 13/10/16 13:50, Petr Pisar wrote:
>>
>>> libbson-1.5.0-0.1.rc2.fc26 removes soname aliases visiable on RPM level
>>> as "libbson-1.0.so.0(LIBBSON_*)(64bit)" provides and keeps
>>> "libbson-1.0.so.0()(64bit)" only.
>>
>> That's not an "soname alias" it's a symbol versioning provide.
>>
>> So are you saying that this library has stopped using symbol versioning?
>
> I think https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/CDRIVER-1347 is likely the root
> cause although I don't see where the code they removed was actually
> setting the specific versions.
>
> So it seems they changed how they export the symbols and hide private
> symbols, but the question is whether the new ABI can really be described
> as unchanged if there used to be five different ABIs supported in the
> same library and now there is only one!

Technically, the versioned symbols disappeared. The unversioned symbols
remained. The reality was that the symbol versioning in the libbson was
never properly used and updated.

> In other words, does the soname need to change?

The soname did not change. But packages built against older library
linked to versioned symbols. Thus they had to be rebuild.

I'm not very verse in version symboling. If you think the removal
requires bumping soname (technically probably yes because you simply
cannot run the old executable against the new library), you can try to
explain it to the upstream. At the and it's only a release candidate.
But be prepared they are quite obstinate about this packaging stuff.

-- Petr