Re: including EOL and vulnerable software in Fedora

I'd like to apologize for the wording "No security fixes will be applied". It was meant as a warning to users who might install the package without knowing what it is for, not as a declaration that we won't maintain the package properly.

The "python26" package is meant to provide just that -- Python 2.6, as it was released and as it is present in various old environments. People that develop backwards-compatible libraries need to test against this version, and to make Fedora compelling for those developers, we want to make it as easy as possible to test the backwards compatibility.

This version is no longer supported upstream, so there aren't many eyes on it. It shouldn't be held to the same standards as the current Python versions, but since it is still in use, bugs still sometimes get found and security fixes will get applied. We do intend to maintain the package according to Fedora standards -- as far as there are standards for packages with inactive upstreams.

This conversation builds on discussions all the way back to Flock, and some details were elided or worded inappropriately in the recent messages. I'd like to invite everyone to take a deep breath, try to understand the intent, and ask for clarifications rather than forming assumptions.

--
Petr Viktorin