OpenSSL 1.1.0 in Rawhide very soon

Hi all,

the openssl will be rebased in Rawhide to 1.1.0 on Monday. There will
be also 1.0.2 compat package (compat-openssl10) so the dependencies are
not broken and Rawhide should be installable. Also things that do not
depend on openssl should be rebuildable without changes.

On the other hand due to the major API changes in 1.1.0 if your package
uses OpenSSL it will not be possible to rebuild it without patching.
Some upstreams already updated their code to work with 1.1.0 so if it
is your case again there might not be any problems rebuilding it.

I will be also working on patching and rebuilding the dependencies
starting with minimal install and expanding to broader installs of
Fedora. However there might be cases where the package is using some
obscure features of the old 1.0.x API and the port might be non-trivial
- I do not expect such packages to be common however cooperation with
the respective package upstream might be needed in such cases.

At worst if the patching of a package is highly non-trivial and the
upstream is not responsive we might have to drop the package from
Fedora.

We do not want to keep 1.0.2 devel around as that could make it to look
like the 1.0.2 is still fully "supported" in Fedora and there would be
no incentive to switch to 1.1.0. Also to get any new features from
upstream OpenSSL we have to move to newer versions as they are released
as the old versions get only bug fixes.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb