Re: A new tool for backward compatibility analysis of API/ABI interfaces in RPM packages

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 06:36:16PM +0300, Ponomarenko Andrey wrote:
> The tool is based on different software stack for analysis of backward
> compatibility developed since 2009: https://github.com/lvc (ABI Compliance Checker, ABI Dumper, etc.)
>
> RedHat created an alternative libabigail tool in 2013. Implementation and reports are completely different. But anyway, two is better than one. Now we can verify reports of both tools by each other.

I'm confused what Red Hat as to do in there. As far as I know, it's a person not
a company that runs the development or libabigail and I very much doubt that
this person was tasked to do that by some higher power.

That being said, did you look at it? Did you make some comparison on how it
performs compared to this stack you mention?
Are there times where one finds something that the other don't, vice-versa?
Can they be ranked or are they too different to be compared?

Thanks,
Pierre