Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

> Based on today's blocker review meeting discussion, and this email
> thread [1] I'd like to propose making only Fedora Media Writer the
> *officially supported* USB installation media creation tool, starting
> with Fedora 26.
>
> The practical implication of "officially support" means bugs for which
> we'd block the release. It doesn't make sense to block the release if
> myriad tools all don't succeed. We only really need one to work, and
> Fedora Media Writer is the cross platform tool we're investing in long
> term.
>
> The main idea of the proposal is to no longer block the release when
> Fedora Media Writer is working, but some other possibly useful ways of
> creating media aren't working. It doesn't mean those tools won't be
> fixed, or would be removed from the distribution, just means we're not
> holding up release for those alternative tools.
>
> Comments?

Personally I'd block on FMW *and* dd. FMW uses dd-like approach internally, so if FMW works, dd should work as well. I'd even say that if you've successfully tested FMW, you can mark dd testcase passed as well. But we should still officially block on dd, because a) it's a universal approach, available in any distribution or even OS (direct copy writers exist for Windows and Mac) b) it's cmdline and therefore can be scripted/automated.

gnome-disks also use dd-like approach, so if dd works, gnome-disks should work as well modulo UI (or selinux) bugs. I'd probably not block on gnome-disks, because FMW does a better job as a GUI-based writer, and I don't see any extra benefit in gnome-disks over FMW. The only difference is that it's available in all distributions unlike FMW, but most probably in different versions than we currently have in Fedora, so blocking on it in Fedora (where we have FMW available) doesn't make much sense to me.

livecd-iso-to-disk seems to provide too much of an edge case functionality, so I wouldn't block on it either. I'm aware that persistence and non-destructive write is useful for some people, and this doesn't mean it will break and not get fixed. However, this is for a very narrow audience and I don't think holding up the whole release (and spending time testing it with every compose) is really worth it.