Re: /sbin/nologin in /etc/shells

Kevin Kofler wrote:
>I can confirm [that Debian doesn't list nologin in /etc/shells.

I've also been researching this.

1. I have checked all current versions of Debian: wheezy (old-stable),
jessie (stable), and stretch (testing).

2. Ubuntu follows suit. I have checked all supported LTS versions:
lucid, precise, trusty, and xenial.

3. I'm reasonably sure that /etc/shells and nologin originally came
from 4.4BSD. It's thus no surprise to find that FreeBSD ships with
/sbin/nologin, but does not list it in /etc/shells. I haven't checked
any other *BSDs, but I'd be willing to lay a modest wager :)

4. Arch ships nologin, but does not list it in /etc/shells.

5. I looked at NixOS. It doesn't ship nologin by default. If you install
the util-linux package, that gives you nologin, but it does not add it
to /etc/shells. (I think. NixOS is *odd*!)

I am not arguing that popular == right. I am saying that in the absence
of a compelling reason to stand out from the crowd, there is a value
in consistency. Particularly where security is concerned: imagine an
administrator coming a Debian background who assumes that setting the
shell to nologin is a reasonable way to lock a user out of the system.

Toby.