Re: Cloud and Server Q&A

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 05:11:52PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I was asked to start this in today's Server meeting. The genesis for
> me was, I have more questions than answers and I'm fairly convinced
> I'm not the only person who's kinda shrugging not knowing what all the
> questions even are. Answers are important too, but good questions to
> properly explore scope and liabilities have to come first.

Cool -- thanks for doing this.

> Cloud WG folks had decided a while ago to focus on Atomic Host, and
> sounds like now they only want to do that, and form a new Atomic WG.
> [1][2]

*nod* -- that's the plan, at least for the WG and Edition. There's
still interest in working on cloud technologies in general in the SIG,
though.

> I see 8 base images for Cloud that aren't rpm-ostree based. Are they
> in need of a new home? Who's using them? Are they all needed? Does it
> make sense for Server WG to produce the non-Atomic Cloud deliverable
> images?

Yes, at least some of them are in need of a new home. I don't know if
they are all needed. I know a non-zero but small number of people are
using them for their basic intended purpose (for building scale-out
infrastructure in EC2 or OpenStack) but I know a lot of other people
are using them as a convenient way to get a small-ish Fedora VM image
to run locally.

> Being contrary, I wondered about consolidation as a solution rather
> than adding another WG and product. [3] Does anyone see Cloud WG, or
> Server WG as spread too thinly? What estimate do you have for overlap
> in work between Cloud and Server? Is there an economy of scale by
> combining them? And is it both useful and practical to have subgroups
> within a WG, to split out the sub variants of Server: hardware, cloud,
> atomic host?

The more I think about this, the more I like your merger suggestion.

> Server and Workstation WGs have expressed interest in moving to
> rpm-ostree based deployments also. So I'm confused by what an Atomic
> WG would produce that's unique. There are huge differences between

See this in-progress document:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/ProjectFAO
The goal of the Fedora Atomic/Openshift edition would be a multi-node
cluster based arond Atomic and OpenShift Origin.

> It might be that the Cloud and Server PRD refreshes help sort some of
> this stuff out too.

Yes. :)

--
Matthew Miller