Re: User Visible Terminology

Hi

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Petr Šabata <contyk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 10:59:55AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 02:25:52PM -0000, Mary Clarke wrote:
>> > * enable vs install vs select
>>
>> select is the worst :)
>
> It's what I half-jokingly suggested during the last WG meeting :)
>
> The reason was it's a verb we often use when talking about
> modularity -- users "selecting" what modules they want on
> their system.
>
> Selecting/enabling/installing a module doesn't necessarily
> mean something will get installed on your system.  I don't like
> "install" much for that reason.

In the "enable" description is written: "Enable: enables the latest
version and/or release of a module and installs the rpms listed in the
default profile" so does it install something or not? Can you please
provide example when the module prepared for use does not need to be
installed?

Also keep in mind that when modules support is implemented in DNF it
will not be in conflict with the new terminology.  i.e. "dnf install
httpd" == enable httpd module == install rpms of httpd module. So
please reconsider "install" again.

>> > * Install: performs actions to prepare modules to run
>>
>> Is install a subset of enable, or does enable simply call install as a
>> convenience if you try to enable something that's not installed?
>
> /me shrugs.
>
> Until very recently, I thought install and enable were just
> different verbs for the same action.  I don't really understand
> what "install" means now either.  Could someone knowledgable
> elaborate?
>
>> > * Run: run the module
>>
>> What does that mean? Do I *need* to run a module? Is this like "scl
>> enable"? And how does this interact with "enable", for that matter?
>
> +1

I would like to also hear what "install" and "run" means in module
terminology. It should be IMO explained before "enable" is decided to
be used as a reference word.

Would it be possible to provide more information about the commands
and in best case provide use cases for commands? Something like:
"Admin has module of version X installed. In the the same stream this
module has a security fix. Admin will use "check-upgrade" which will
..., then he will ... to ...

Honza