Re: How to package a Git repository

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would like to build (S)RPMs directly from a Git repository (which contains the .spec file in the top-level directory).  This is for a CI-style project, with a quick release cycle.

I have a Lua script fragment which generates a proper SRPM with the mock-scm target in COPR, and which is also compatible with “fedpkg srpm”.  But rpmbuild strips leading path components from Source: and Patch: references, so this only works if all files are in a single directory.

Are there any alternatives that work in COPR, EPEL and Fedora proper?

I think it's strange that I have to put a tarball somewhere just for RPM's sake if there is no separate upstream, and there are no upstream releases as a result.  It's just an annoyance and yet another step that can go wrong in various ways.

Thanks,
Florian

There is the --build-in-place option to rpmbuild, which will "Build from locally checked out sources. Sets _builddir to current working directory. Skips handling of -n and untar in the %setup and the deletion of the buildSubdir."

This might be helpful, if the current working directory is the root of the git repository. I think it's a relatively new option-- I seem to remember it being added somewhere in the Fedora 23 cycle?

Ben Rosser