Re: OCB blockcipher mode - is it allowed?

On Sun, 2016-08-28 at 08:54 +0200, Igor Gnatenko wrote:

> > Only option 2 has the non-military restriction, and anything in Fedora would
> > almost certainly fall under 1 or 3. So, I can't imagine there'd be a problem
> > using the OCB patent in Fedora software. I'm actually not even sure why
> > option 3 even exists, since it seems to be a subset of option 1. Regardless,
> > it doesn't look like the non-military restriction of option 2 would apply if
> > option 1 is used.

> Unfortunately I don't know how licenses applies, so if program is
> licensed under OSI-approved license then 2nd license doesn't apply
> anymore?

AIUI, this page is basically talking about a *patent* the author has on
OCB. It's not a copyright license in itself. What the author is
basically saying is that he's willing to grant rights to people using
the OCB functionality in different ways. Simply put, I *think* the
first grant is sufficient for an open-source licensed project using the
OCB functionality to be safely included in Fedora, but the proper thing
to do is wait for someone suitably qualified from fedora-legal to
respond.