Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2016-08-12)

Peter Robinson wrote:
> There was feedback that was taken into account as part of the proposal
> that came from the mailing list,

Only in the form of more writeup in the Q&A section giving various excuses
for not addressing any of the fatal flaws that were pointed out in the
thread (such as the "fail on one = fail on all" principle). You did not
change anything whatsoever in the substance of the proposal.

> See that's where we disagree, there are 1000s of users that use those,
> you could also argue that the vast majority of Fedora instances aren't
> desktop platforms but servers/VMs and other non desktop usecases (I
> know of one company running Fedora on over a million ARM devices) yet

You mean the same company whose (x86-based) 1.0 hardware FESCo rendered
almost worthless by not doing anything about the accumulating bloat that is
increasing the size of all our images from release to release (starting from
the "Mini"DebugInfo "feature" that globally increased the size of all
packages for very little benefit, but that has also served as a general
precedent for making bloat that makes an image fail its size target always
the fault of the image's size target rather than of the bloat) and thus
making it almost impossible to stick a current Fedora into its limited
storage space? How long until that issue hits 1.5 too?

> we still care about and ship various desktops too or some of the weird
> 18K odd source packages that we also distribute the binaries for.
> There are users of these out in the wider Fedora ecosystem that
> benefit from all these different options and even though they don't
> fit in YOUR definition of a "real world" user it doesn't mean they're
> not. Fedora is very much about options and diversity whether that be
> people, language, location, desktop or architecture :-)

What does diversity of people have to do with this? By your strange
definition of "diversity", we should try to run Fedora on a toaster, or even
on a dead badger. We would NOT be excluding any ethnic or social group of
people by supporting only x86. CPUs do not have human rights. So I sense a
strawman (or worse, an attempt to defame me by putting my position into a
completely different context).

        Kevin Kofler