Re: Introduction and help with comps.xml

On 08/10/2016 10:38 AM, Geoffrey Marr wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Geoff Marr and I am recently new (May) to Fedora. I have several
> years of Linux experience before that, starting with Mandrake Linux 9 back in
> '03. I also have a background in electronics engineering and since I have
> moved to working in software professionally, don't get to use my hardware
> experience all that much. That is where I became aware of the Fedora
> Electronic Lab (FEL) and with it, how comps.xml and dnf groups work. I have
> attempted to contact the owner of FEL, but he hasn't been active since 2014
> and as such, many of the packages in the FEL comps.xml are outdated or need
> extra dependencies to work. I have cloned the F25 comps.xml and edited the
> group for FEL with the required additional packages, but I do not have
> permissions to push the new comps.xml. Is there a process to getting a change
> approved that I should go though? Also, how can I go about getting the
> required permissions to push the comps.xml to the Pagure page?
>
> FEL is a great product but without maintenance the quality suffers. I am glad
> to maintain this particular group until such a time as the owner returns or
> the group is passed on to something/someone else. Any help here would be
> great. I'm glad to be here and also happy to help in any way that I can, even
> on things unrelated to this particular issue. Let me know if I can do
> anything to help.

Hi Geoff! The normal approach here would be to create a fork of the fedora-comps
repository on Pagure under your own account, then make your changes and push
them to your fork, then once they're ready you can issue a pull request which
notifies the comps maintainers to look at your changes and merge them if they
look good.

I can help walk you through this over IRC if you like.