Re: Bodhi UI Redesign User Survey

rkolathu wrote:
> Hi Bjorn,
>
> Thanks for the feedback
>
> It will be great if you could share your thoughts on improving the
> interface. It will be useful for incorporating that into our survey
> which ultimately will benefit the re-design process.

On my relation to Bodhi:

I've been using Fedora since Red Hat Linux 6.1, but I've only been
making packages for seven years. I use Bodhi to release updates to my
packages, and sometimes to vote on others' updates that are related to
my packages. This happens infrequently and irregularly as I do most
version upgrades during the Rawhide phase. It looks like the user
interface has already been redesigned once since the latest time I used
Bodhi.

On question 5:

Is the green icon a link to the tarball? Would one click on the green
icon to get the tarball and on the blue text to get the source RPM
package? Does the icon link to the upstream download site, or to some
Fedora server that provides copies of upstream tarballs?

On an actual page I could find out the answers by pointing to the links
to see the URLs, but in the mockup there are no URLs, so I'm not sure
what the mockup is supposed to show.

On question 6:

I'm at first confused by the term "Bugzilla Updates". A Bugzilla update
is a new version of the Bugzilla server software. The term you want is
"bug reports".

I don't much like the icons that look like "done" and "delete". I can
figure out that they're probably supposed to mean "solved by this
update" and "not solved", but I don't want to play the "guess the
symbol" game while I'm working on package updates.

After carefully studying the pictures I conclude that the question
you're trying to ask is: "Should complete bug reports with comment
threads be displayed in the Bodhi user interface, instead of just
titles with links to Bugzilla?" Well, it's not very important to me but
I suppose it could be useful if it doesn't hurt performance.

On question 7:

We're playing "guess the symbol" again, but this time we're given the
choices "delete", "empty box" and "done".

On question 8:

I'm at first confused about the "Page Version" and "Tab Version". It
sounds like two different versions of the user interface or something.
Comparing the pictures I find out that the "tab version" is just an
enlarged picture of the important part of the "page version".

Once that confusion is cleared up, I wonder what the hell "Overall
Metrics" and "Masher Status" are doing in a list of Fedora releases.

On question 9:

"Guess the symbol" once more. The first one looks like an Atom or RSS
feed, but it's not at all clear what messages that feed would contain.
The second looks like some kind of list. It's in the Builds field, so
it might be a list of the builds that are included in this update. But
aren't those already listed right there in the Builds field (only one
in this example)? The third symbol looks like "out", but I have no idea
what would be going out from where.

I suppose the choice "I have no idea what these are used for" is close
enough, although "some vague idea" would be more true.

Björn Persson