Re: Packaging FPGA bitstreams

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 4:18 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 10:28:38PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> > Unfortunately to compile the source code to a bitstream, things get
>> > very proprietary.  For Xilinx, you have to install their proprietary
>> > compiler, Vivado.  It's not just proprietary but it has node-locked
>> > licensing so it's user-hostile too.
>>
>> So this is a binary blob that cannot be rebuilt with Free Software, and thus
>> not allowed in Fedora.
>
> We ship firmware so this is not (necessarily) true.
>
> Rich.

Still not reasonable for Fedora, I think. Red Hat, and RHEL, can
manage registered licensing to build this binary blob. But binary
blobs with no tool chain to build htem? That's begging for the
insertion of malware or back doors, or even patent and software
violating content. It's certainly a direct violation of the intent of
the GPL licensed tools that form so much of the base of Fedora's build
environment.