Re: GPG2 as default /usr/bin/gpg

This is still causing me headaches. GPG2 switched away from the secring.gpg file, and now I have multiple tools using different files for storing my credentials. And, depending on which command I use (sometimes I slip and use gpg instead of gpg2), I import stuff to the wrong keyring, and I can't find it later.

That, combined with the fact that the gpg command doesn't use gnome-keyring-daemon's gpg-agent without some extra ENV setup, and the git bug from earlier in the thread, this is getting pretty annoying.

Users can't uninstall gnupg and only use gnupg2, either, because important stuffs depend on it, like anaconda, initial-setup, libblockdev-*, monkeysphere, hplip, volume_key-libs (no idea why those last two should, but they do).

Being able to use alternatives without messing with package files which are likely to get clobbered on update, would be nice, at the very least.

But really, I think it's time to transition, since there's no technical reason why one should be using gnupg1 these days.

We could transition in this way:

1. Have packages depend on gnupg2 instead.
2. Rename gnupg to gnupg1
3. Make gnupg a meta-package which depends on gnupg2 and sets up alternatives.
4. Make gpg1 lower priority in alternatives than gpg2 for /usr/bin/gpg
5. Don't install gnupg by default.