Re: Support for PCLMUL, AVX, FMA, etc.

Hi Jerry,

I'm kind of resurrecting a dead thread here, but maybe a recent change to GCC has made what you were considering possible. I stumbled upon it when looking for information about optimized extensions for another package.

Recently, GCC expanded support for multiversioning. It's in GCC 6, which is included in F24. You can now write one function, and have it multiversioned. This includes support for C++ and C (as opposed to C++ only), works in x86_64 as well, and you only write one version of the function (which should avoid those ABI changes you mentioned). It's currently limited to AVX(2) from what I understand, so it doesn't help me, but maybe you'll find it useful. There's also a nifty tool to identify areas that can be sped up with the new instructions.

More info here: http://lwn.net/Articles/691932/

(I didn't fully understand your msg on which implementation of multiversioning you were using, so if you're already using the new one, please disregard!)

Take care!
Matt