Re: Too fast karma on Bodhi updates

Sayan Chowdhury wrote:
> I recently packaged and pushed an update for
> fedmsg-meta-fedora-infrastructure to bodhi and exactly 40 secs[1] later I
> got a +1 to the update. I am sure that testing a package surely takes more
> than 40 secs. This makes me really curious that are the packages really
> being tested before giving out the karma.
>
> After going through messages in datagrepper[2][3], I found that few people
> are giving out karma in one go (4-5 packages under a minute). If these
> packages really are not-tested and the karma are given out randomly then I
> am sure that this sure going to affect the release, infrastructure and our
> users.
>
> Does anybody know what is going on?

The broken system where giving karma:
* is the only way to allow the maintainer to push the package before some
  arbitrary deadline,
* in many cases (lazy maintainers enabling that "autokarma" nonsense) even
  AUTOMATICALLY gets things out to stable,
* in addition, giving karma automatically (without any validation) gives
  some of that "badges" nonsense (which counterproductively rewards a lot of
  bad behavior including broken builds!) as a reward,
gives the perverse incentive to game the system with fake karma.

Fedora really needs to move back to a system in which the decision to push
an update is purely made by a human known to be competent, i.e., the
package's maintainer. Any feedback on Bodhi should be purely informative (to
the maintainer, who then does the actual call). That is the only way to stop
encouraging counterproductive behavior.

        Kevin Kofler