Re: F25 Self Contained Change: Rust Compiler

On 07/13/2016 12:29 AM, Stefan Nuxoll wrote:
> Rust supports dynamic linking, would it be worth investigating that
> route instead of copying the proposed Go guidelines? I'm not against
> static linking at all costs, but it would make package maintenance
> (especially security updates) a lot more pleasant.

To be clear, we will still dynamically link to foreign libraries.

Rust does support dynamic linking, but there's no stable ABI.  So from a
packaging perspective, that really defeats the point.  Every rebuild of
a library would potentially need a rebuild of its dependents.

There's also support for creating static libraries (*.rlib), but that
will surely have ABI issues too.

So with static linking from source-based devel packages, we only have to
rebuild the leaves that actually ship an executable.  I think that's the
best scenario for now.