dnf system upgrade has zero progress on text boot (`quiet no rhgb`)

One of my laptops has quiet and no rhgb in the grub line, so no pretty UI.

As I wasn't paying attention, I used the fedup commands (download, reboot), which got routed to dnf. Upon reboot, the on-screen output showed a partial boot (from systemd messages) and no indication that an upgrade was underway.

Logging in as root and tailing /var/log/dnf*.log does work.

Am I using this wrong? Seems to me like it's essential to have at least some minimal dnf output in the text mode boot (ie: "Starting system upgrade, could take forever").

After some googling I did find the option to have debug info on tty9. Perhaps should be enabled by default?

cheers,

 - ask interesting questions  ~  http://linkedin.com/in/martinlanghoff
 - don't be distracted        ~  http://github.com/martin-langhoff
   by shiny stuff