Re: [OT] Tim, Gil, et. al. (e-mail address settings)

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-07-01 at 16:19 -0400, Dan Book wrote:
>> Nobody is blocking you. But aside from this one instance I went
>> digging
>> through my spam folder, I do not see your messages, and I suspect
>> many
>> others do not either. Communication doesn't work if you can't reach
>> the
>> audience, quite literally in this case. But if you don't care, then
>> that's
>> all.
>> -Grinnz
>
> I checked my spam folder. All of gil's mails have been going there.
> There is this helpful message:
>
> "Why is this message in Spam? It has a from address in libero.it but
> has failed libero.it's required tests for authentication."
>
> There is documentation for this:
>
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1366858
>
> which points to:
>
> https://dmarc.org/overview/
>
> I don't understand email, but I suspect gil's problem has something to
> do with that.
>
> Michael
>
> P.S. gil, keep in mind that we're not going to see your replies. ;)

I took a look at the various emails in this thread, and gil's

by smtp-33.iol.local with SMTP
id J1zHbqsAiP9dYJ1zHbpzMg; Fri, 01 Jul 2016 19:12:20 +0200
x-libjamoibt: 1601

The information indicates that somewhere along the line, there's an
unauthenticated server doing its own mail transport in the chain. It
also adds a tag that is unique to emails from him, of which I'm unsure
whether it's legit or some kind of tag injection. libero.it also
passes its own information of what servers it considers are valid MTA
sources for its email.