Re: multi-CPU optimization inside a distribution

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Jan Kratochvil
<jan.kratochvil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:12:37 +0200, Dan Horák wrote:
>> For ppc64 (the big endian POWER) the base is set by the toolchain
>> default which is Power4/ppc970. When Power7 came we were asked what are
>> the options to take the advantage of these CPUs, 3 generations newer
>> than the base. The solution was the introduction of ppc64p7 subarch
>
> But now there is ppc64le for >=Power8.  So <=Power7 can use ppc64 but newer
>>=Power8 hardware does use ppc64le which is already Power8 optimized.
> So isn't this problem (somehow temporarily) solved for now?

POWER8 can run in either endian mode.  So no, the problem is not solved.

> Or are really the Power7 (and not yet Power8) machines the real problem?

Realistically, it isn't about either specifically.  Each iteration of
POWER tends to require tuning specifically for that generation if you
want to get the most performance out of your software.  That tuning is
incompatible with older generations of hardware (endian completely
aside).  So as Dan alludes to, this is fairly cumbersome.  To make it
widely useable, you default to the oldest generation you want to
support.

x86 theoretically has similar problems, but we tend to just not care
as much about tuning at the distro level.  The applications can tune
however they'd like, but given that most datacenters are not
homogeneous among x86 machines, it often means people cannot tune for
one specific x86 generation because they have to run on a wider
variety.

Contrast that with POWER, where people using that tend to buy one or
two very large systems to consolidate their workload on.  They can and
often do want the best performance they can eek out since they're
consolidating, which means they often want the distro components tuned
as well, particularly system libraries.

Going forward, I'd seriously look at dropping anything older than
POWER7 support.  I know we all dearly love our Mac G5 machines
(ppc970), but those are getting very very old at this point.  POWER5
was a non-event for Fedora, POWER6 was a weird generation even for
IBM.  POWER7 and POWER8 are where most of the effort is, and that will
only continue as next generation POWER chips come out.  Given that
Rackspace and others have actually started using the openPOWER stuff
with POWER8, it probably makes sense to focus on where the users are
headed and not where they were 10 years ago.

josh