Re: RFC: static builds for user emulators in Fedora QEMU RPMs

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 09:39:11AM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-06-29 at 11:34 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > > Debian builds static libraries and puts them into their -dev packages.
> > > Fedora does not do this systematically.  Are all the static libraries you
> > > need actually available in Fedora?
> >
> > Yes, everything we need exists - as mentioned its only glibc-static,
> > glib2-static, zlib-static and pcre-static that we need for this.
> >
> > > An alternative would be to bind-mount the real file system into the chroot
> > > and run the native dynamic linker with a --library-path command line
> > > argument that specifies the library directories in the bind mount. (It's
> > > reasonable to specify --inhibit-cache as well.)  This would need some
> > > adjustments in the binfmt wrapper.
> >
> > The binfmt registrations are global to the OS, so the same binfmt command
> > needs to work whether inside or outside the chroot. So a scheme which
> > requires us to pass special args to make the linker looks elsewhere when
> > inside the chroot is not so easy. We'd have to create a wrapper program
> > around the real qemu user binary that decides which args to pass to the
> > linker, and that wrapper would then have to be statically linked
>
> Just an idea:
>
> Would it make sense to build the qemu-user binary so that it looks in a
> different /lib directory (using rpath) like /lib/qemu-user-systemlib,
> and then symlink into that directory the libraries it needs from the
> host ?
>
> That way if you use chroot and bind mount in that directory in the right
> place the qemu-user binary uses different libraries from the emulated
> binaries yet you do not have to resort to static linking.

I think you would need multiple levels of symlinking

On the host root

 symlink: /usr/lib/qemu-user-root -> /
     dir: /usr/lib/qemu-user-host-lib
 symlink: /usr/lib/qemu-user-host-lib/libc.so -> /usr/lib/qemu-user-root/lib/libc.so

And build qemu-$ARCH with rpath to /usr/lib/qemu-user-root/lib.

Then in the chroot you would need to bind mount the host root into
/usr/lib/qemu-user-root, to override the symlink that would otherwise
point back to /

Even if you do all that, you've now prevented installation of the
foreign arch's qemu-user RPM inside the chroot, as that will clash
with the one you've setup from the host. Also the way you deal with
cross-arch chroots is now different (and more complex) on Fedora, vs
every other Linux distro which just provides a static qemu-$ARCH you
can copy without needing to care about bind mounting extra dirs.

So yes, it is probably possible, but it is not very appealing IMHO

Regards,
Daniel