[Modularity] RFC: rebuilding components of modules and namespace issues

Hi all,

One month ago Petr Šabata posted a module build proposal here on this list. [1] I'd like to gather some ideas about the very first of his key points as it poses some problems with our current buildsystem:

> - building a module means building the components it contains and
> composing a module deliverable (a repository, an image, other)

Rebuilding compoments is necessary as the buildroot of modules can be quite different from package builds which usually just take whatever package is tagged last into a koji tag. For modules it will depend on the modules definition. But we can't just simply rebuild the same RPM (same name-version-release) in koji for a module. koji correctly doesn't allow that. To make it worse, that same RPM might be required by different modules with different buildroots, thus needing a rebuild there as well.

The current idea is to use the dist tag for this and let privileged users or koji itself (based on some rules) overwrite the %dist tag for builds of module components. This lets us automate those builds fairly easily.

Another approach would be to modify the package release for each rebuild. That still allows us to automate rebuilds to some extend, but for example finding an upgrade path might get a little messy.

Does anyone have any other ideas for this problem ?

  Karsten

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/ONSR4IHJUASBEANEXZVMFGFHDE565XV3/