Re: Proposal: remove insecure WebKitGTK+ packages for F27

On Fri, 2016-06-10 at 15:02 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> What do we actually have to do to move apps that are using the
> Webkit API to the new version?  What code changes are needed?
> Is there documentation for this?

There's no transition documentation. Basically, you want to make sure
your package builds when switching the pkg-config version in
configure.ac to webkit2gtk-4.0.

There is API documentation here:

http://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkit2gtk/stable/

Stable DOM (web process) API:

http://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkitdomgtk/stable/

Deprecated API (what you are porting away from):

http://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkitgtk/stable/index.html

If your app doesn't use the DOM API, the port should be
straightforward. Your app will probably work once you manage to compile
it. Be sure to check if any signals you connect to have been renamed.

If your app does use the DOM API, you have more work as you need to
create a web process extension to access this API. You can use any form
of IPC to communicate between the UI process and the web process; D-Bus
is a good option. Documentation here:

http://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkit2gtk/stable/WebKitWebExtension.html

Epiphany serves as a good (if complex) example of how to write a web
extension:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/epiphany/tree/embed/web-extension

Hope that helps a bit... happy to answer more questions.

Michael